For decades, medical researchers have known that asbestos exposure causes mesothelioma, an extremely rare and terminal diagnosis.
Many companies in the asbestos industry knew or became aware of the hidden health dangers of asbestos, yet continued to produce, market, and sell asbestos-containing products.
Employers also became aware of the health dangers and continued using the asbestos containing products on their premises exposing their workers to the deadly asbestos fibers. To date, more 125 million Americans are estimated to have been victims of asbestos exposure.
Mesothelioma attorneys focus on helping mesothelioma patients and their families receive financial compensation from asbestos product manufacturers and the owners and insurance companies of the premises where asbestos was in use.
How Mesothelioma Law Firms Help Victims Receive Compensation
The best mesothelioma law firms have been established with a firm reputation for significant jury verdicts and settlements. Unlike other firms which offer general assistance on a wide range of legal topics, mesothelioma attorneys focus exclusively on asbestos exposure litigation. They will quickly identify all possible liable parties and trust funds and gather the necessary evidence to prove your case. More specifically these firms help to:
- Determine If Your Asbestos Case Is Viable: A mesothelioma law firm will review your work and medical histories so you can learn if you are eligible for compensation through a lawsuit, settlement and/or from trust funds. Mesothelioma lawyers understand what it takes to make a strong case and work to secure compensation quickly.
- Collect Evidence Related to Your Case: Firms that have successfully won mesothelioma lawsuits begin immediately in collecting evidence related to your exposure. This starts with an in-depth review of your work history. Your attorney will determine in precise detail how asbestos was used in the workplace, estimate how much asbestos you were exposed to, and determine which parties are liable for the exposure.
- Determine All Liable Parties: Asbestos exposure lawsuits may have many defendants, including employer’s, insurers, asbestos distributors and products manufacturers. An experienced mesothelioma attorney will determine all possible liable parties and trust funds based on where you were exposed to asbestos and which products you came into contact with.
- Get You As Much Compensation As Possible: Experienced mesothelioma attorneys pursue all available sources of compensation for clients. Often, more than one source is pursued, which include VA benefits, asbestos trust funds, asbestos lawsuits, and insurance benefits. Your lawyer will also determine if settlement offers are adequate.
How to Choose a Mesothelioma Law Firm
In the U.S., a variety of law firms pursue mesothelioma lawsuits and settlements. Yet, only a select group focus all of their resources on asbestos-related cases. For example, many general personal injury law firms provide counsel in asbestos-related matters, but do not concentrate primarily on asbestos litigation.
Asbestos litigators, on the other hand, have experience handling cases through the complex settlement processes. Plus, mesothelioma attorneys have a track record of resolving cases quickly and getting the most compensation possible for their clients.
How can you tell determine which are the best mesothelioma law firms? Here are a few criteria for determining a firm’s qualifications:
- Ask the number of asbestos cases the firm handles each year
- Determine the percentage of those cases that have a favorable outcome
- Ask about prior settlements and verdict amounts
- Learn about the firm’s knowledge of asbestos laws and case precedent
- Assess the firm’s professionalism; during an initial consultation, their expertise should put you at ease
- Ask about how they will keep you informed about your case, including any updates, discoveries or other vital information
What Are the Costs of Hiring a Mesothelioma Attorney?
The best mesothelioma law firms have confidence in their ability to earn you the compensation you deserve. That’s why most work on a contingency fee basis. If your case is unsuccessful, you are not required to pay for services. If you win, the law firm collects a percentage of your settlement amount.
Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with mesothelioma? Contact Mesowatch today for a free, confidential case evaluation and speak with the nation’s leading mesothelioma lawyers.